Society for Healthcare
We are looking at rebranding our Gift Shop in January 2024. The current manager (which I inherited) has not made a profit in the past 4 years and the auxiliary suffered a tremendous loss this year. We will phase her position/hours out as the year comes to a close and offer her a 'lower' position in the shop at that time.
My questions for you are the following:
I'm sure there will be more questions to follow as I feel my way through, but I appreciate anything you can share!
These are awesome questions. I have answered them, if you have any questions you can call me or email me. I would also like if you will, share any information you get that is not posting on here.
1. I don't sell scrubs. My shop is 325 square feet. The hospital is building on and a new gift shop will be included. Should be twice the size it currently is. However, the employees can purchase uniforms from First Uniforms online and use payroll deduction. We get a rebate from First Uniform.
2. I am in the process of purchasing LOGO shirts. I was asked to sell them in the new shop. I have gotten a few from Queensboro.
3. I do sell fresh flowers. The mark up is 30%.
4. I am with MM Hayes. They were able to handle out tier payroll deduction for the shop. The employee's payments are based on their balance. I can purchase a mobile unit but the cost is $3,000. a year. Means there has to be a lot of sales to comp that.
5. Best sellers: (not in order, just off the top of my head)
Handbags Baby Bows
Candy Over the counter Medicines
Balloons Cell phone items
6. Christmas: Water Lanterns have been a huge hit for the last 2 years. We also sell Grinh items really well.
7. Fall items will be going out in the next 2 weeks.
8. Christmas is always done the last week in October. We close on friday and empty the shop except baby items and reset with Christmas.
9. I have always gone to Atlanta in January. However, I have been to Dallas and Last Vegas Market and Las Vegas ASD show. Christmas is my primary purchases is Atlanta. But the ASD show is mainly closeouts. So, you have to be open minded on when it will sell and having room to store it until you can sell it. You have to take most purchases asap. But you can do a huge markup on the majority of the items from there. If you want to talk about it, call me I'll explain it more.
I hope this helps. Please share any info you get.
Scotland Health Care System
100 Bed hospital
UNC Health Lenoir
I am also still learning about Gift Shop, as you know! But here is what I can answer below:
I find myself in a challenging gift shop situation as well. My manager/buyer of 21 years is moving so I've got big shoes to fill! I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability:
I'm glad to know I'm not on this journey alone! The thoughts of shopping the Atlanta Market are a bit overwhelming!
I'm curious to know where everyone is purchasing their logo items from. We currently use a local company but are looking at setting up a swag store through Blink Marketing.
Again, thank you for your feedback.
Thanks so much Jill! I'm interested in the kiosk you use for your florals. We are remodeling our hospital and the GS will have less square footage. Due to that, we are looking at a kiosk for our florals.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org